Monday, June 19, 2006

If at first you don't succeed

get a bigger hammer!

The lawnmower hasn't been running properly since I took it out of storage. I changed the spark plug, oil, fuel and air filter. It still wasn't running right. It didn't seem to be getting fuel. I started to take the carburetor apart when I realized that it was a sealed unit. The EPA requires that carburetors be sealed so that you cannot adjust them out of specifications and cause excessive emissions. This also means that you cannot adjust them into specifications. I figured that the float or the needle was sticking and I had no way of checking to see if this was the case. Frustrated I took a 13/16 box end wrench and "gently rapped" on the carburetor. Low and behold the engine now works fine.

Once the lawnmower was running, my wife walked out of the house with a sales receipt saying "Happy Fathers day, go pick up your new lawn mower." She has wonderful timing!

No comments:

Blog Archive